Jace is a Partner in the Firm’s Korea Practice.
Jace has extensive experience in finance, fintech, cross-border investment, and intellectual property. He regularly advises clients on issues concerning cryptocurrencies, emerging technologies, international trade, bankruptcy, and securitisation.
As a native Korean and fluent Japanese speaker, Jace is a specialist in reviewing contracts between Korea and Japan, for cross-border investment and mergers & acquisitions. As a patent attorney, he has also assisted to register hundreds of patents and trademarks in Korea. He also served as Rehabilitation Commissioner at the Seoul Bankruptcy Court, handling thousands of insolvency cases to determine their financial soundness, possibility of rehabilitation and/or M&A.
Jace also has experience in international arbitration and mediation, and sports arbitration. He managed and reviewed international arbitration and mediation cases at the Hong Kong International Arbitration Centre. Additionally, he completed the Cross-border Mediation Course by the Singapore International Dispute Resolution Academy and International Arbitration Course by the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators.
He is currently serving as president of the Korean Equestrian Federation, and is an advisory expert of the Korean Ministry of Food and Drug Safety and serves as an Advisor to the Korean government on pharmaceutical patents. He is also a member of the Korean Bar Association’s Cryptocurrency Committee and Start-up Company Committee. He served as a Director of the Korean Bar Association from 2016 to 2018, and was awarded the Outstanding Lawyer award in 2018 and 2023. He is a member of the Korean Bar Association, Seoul Bar Association, Korea Patent Attorneys Association, the Korean Intellectual Property Office, and the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators.
Jace has been asked to speak on topics concerning blockchain-based technology, intellectual property and investment law in Korea, Singapore, Japan and Hong Kong. He was a guest expert in a law related show at KBS, Korea’s national broadcaster, and also acted as a legal counsel in dramas broadcasted by MBC and SBS.
He has Master of Laws degrees from Singapore Management University and Indiana University Maurer School of Law.
- Represented a South Korean government owned investment company to manage a very large number of investment disputes..
- Represented a South Korean major electronic device manufacturing company in a case related to construction work in Equatorial Guinea.
- Represented a South Korean manufacturing company in a M&A dispute.
- Acted for a Cryptocurrency Exchange in Korea in an ICO dispute and successfully negotiated for the clients’ intended outcome.
- Acted for a major Japanese manufacturing company in a M&A deal against a Korean company from negotiation to closing of the contract.
- Acted for foreign companies from the US, Hong Kong, Switzerland and etc. in inward foreign direct investment procedures to Korea, incorporation of companies in Korea and setup of employment rule under Korean labour law.
Latest updates from Oon & Bazul
Stay informed with the latest updates from our Experts.
Subscribe to our mailing list