Julia is a Partner (Foreign Lawyer) in the firm’s International Arbitration Practice and heads one of the largest Korea Practice teams in Singapore with several Korean qualified lawyers.
Julia has handled international dispute resolution matters across a diverse range of industries (including international arbitration, international mediation and cross-border litigation) in the construction, manufacturing, healthcare, pharmaceutical, and energy industries. These usually involve disputes over joint ventures, international trade, shareholder and investment agreements across jurisdictions including South Korea, Japan, China, Singapore, India, Australia, Germany, Canada and the United States of America.
She has experience in ad-hoc arbitrations as well as various institutional arbitrations administered by Singapore International Arbitration Centre (SIAC) Rules, International Chamber of Commerce (ICC) Rules, American Arbitration Association International Centre for Dispute Resolution (AAA/ICDR) Arbitration Rules, Korean Commercial Arbitration Board (KCAB) Rules and UNCITRAL Rules, where the substantive laws of the contracts have included Korean law, Japanese law, Singapore law, Australian law and California law.
Julia also has experience in practicing laws in South Korea from corporate, M&A, employment, white-collar crime, anti-corruption investigation and compliance, to civil & commercial litigation and intellectual property (IP) infringement cases.
Previously, she served as Counsel and Head of North East Asia desk at SIAC administering over 130 international arbitration cases under the SIAC Arbitration Rules as well as the UNCITRAL Arbitration Rules. Julia then practiced as Special Counsel of the international dispute resolution group at one of the major law firms in South Korea, before returning to Singapore to join Oon & Bazul LLP. She is a member of the Korean Bar Association, the Seoul Bar Association, the Korean Intellectual Property Office and a fellow of the Singapore Institute of Arbitrators. She has been appointed to the panel of arbitrators at the Thai Arbitration Institute (TAI) and also invited to be an Advisor to the TAI.
Julia also teaches international commercial arbitration, investment arbitration and IP dispute resolution at Kyushu University Graduate School of Law in Japan and lectures at Seoul National University College of Engineering in South Korea.
- Represented a South Korean trading company under the SIAC Rules governed by English law against an Indonesian company concerning a supply agreement.
- Represented a major South Korean home shopping company under the SIAC Rules governed by Singapore law against a Chinese broadcasting company concerning a joint venture agreement.
- Represented a South Korean steel company under the SIAC Rules governed by Australian law against an Australian construction company concerning a supply agreement.
- Represented a South Korean pharmaceutical company in an ICC arbitration case governed by Japanese law against a German distributor company.
- Represented a South Korean manufacturing company in both an emergency arbitration and the main arbitration case under the ICC Rules governed by South Korean law against an Australian construction company.
- Acted for a Canadian healthcare company in a South Korean lawsuit against a South Korean distributor.
- Acted for an UAE aviation company in a South Korean lawsuit against a South Korean insurance company.
- Acted for a global third-party funding company on the feasibility of its investment agreement in South Korea.
- Investigated a Belgian subsidiary incorporated in South Korea for a financial fraud case.
Latest updates from Oon & Bazul
Stay informed with the latest updates from our Experts.
Subscribe to our mailing list