Chenthil is a Partner in the Firm’s Dispute Resolution Practice Group. He was admitted as an Advocate and Solicitor of the Supreme Court of Singapore in 2001.
Chenthil handles complex commercial disputes across a wide range of industries, including the banking, financial services, mining and aviation sectors. He acts in matters relating to investment and joint venture disputes, company and shareholder disputes, banking and securities claims, insolvency, commercial fraud, employment, professional disciplinary matters and white collar criminal matters.
Chenthil has appeared as lead counsel in both the Singapore Court of Appeal and High Court, as well as in domestic and international arbitrations.
Chenthil’s approach is to deliver holistic and practical solutions to a client’s legal problems. Consequently, the focus is on identifying and addressing both the underlying causes of the immediate legal issue as well as the principal strategic considerations in play. Where necessary, he has coordinated multidisciplinary teams involving accountants, forensic experts, private investigators, overseas lawyers and public relations consultants. In each case, the objective is to allow the client to smoothly resolve the legal issue at hand and get back to his core business.
Chenthil’s experience includes:
- Acting for an international conglomerate in the Singapore High Court and Court of Appeal of Singapore, resisting an attempt to set aside an international arbitration award involving claims of over RM 100 million.
- Acting for high net worth clients from China in bringing claims against a Swiss bank in Singapore for breach of contract and unauthorized transactions.
- Acting for a corporate finance firm against a multinational company in a multi-million dollar claim in misrepresentation, fraud, conspiracy and breach of contract.
- Acting for various private bank relationship managers in claims by customers alleging misrepresentation, negligence and breach of fiduciary duties.
- Acting for the former shareholders of the Adaro coal mine in Indonesia in bringing multi-million dollar claims relating to breaches of duty and conspiracy in respect of a mortgagee sale of shares.
- Acting in respect of shareholder disputes pertaining to the Raffles Town Club in Singapore.
- Acting for one of the shareholders of an international budget airline in respect of claims against another shareholder.
- Acting for an Indonesian telecommunications company in respect of claims brought by a foreign supplier of telecommunications equipment.
- Advising and acting for auditors of a company in respect of catastrophic fraud by a client’s shareholders, leading to liquidation of the client company.
- Acting as defence counsel for various parties who were being investigated for or charged with offences relating to inter alia market manipulation, corruption, forgery, tax evasion, breaches of immigration controls and breaches of export controls.
- Advising a private equity fund in relation to its investment in a fishing business in Indonesia, which had been fraudulently procured. This matter involved instructing foreign lawyers and private investigators to ascertain the full extent of the fraud.
- Advising on a shareholder dispute relating to the re-development of a landmark commercial building in an ASEAN country.
- Advising and acting for an international airline in respect of the delay in delivery of multiple B787 aircraft by Boeing Commercial Airplanes.
Advocate & Solicitor, Singapore
Solicitor, England and Wales (non-practising) LL.B. (Hons.), University of Nottingham
Graduate Diploma in Singapore Law, National University of Singapore
Tel: (65) 6223 3893 / Mobile: (65) 9793 7402
Email: [email protected]