International Arbitration work is one of the firm’s core practice areas.
We have handled a range of major arbitrations in cities around the world including London, New York, Hong Kong, Shanghai, Bangkok, Kuala Lumpur and Singapore. The arbitration regimes that we are familiar with include ICC, SIAC, HKIAC, CIETAC, LCIA, LMAA, PORAM, GAFTA and FOSFA.
Over the years, we have handled highly complex disputes involving niche industries such as aviation, shipping, international trade, oil & gas, projects, reinsurance and mineral exploration.
- A New York arbitration involving a US$38 million claim against a national airline. The team obtained anti-suit injunctions to compel the airline to arbitrate the disputes.
- A Singapore arbitration involving claims of over US$30 million relating to the construction of a drill pipe laying barge.
- A Singapore arbitration involving claims for US$20 million relating to the construction and laying of a flexible flow line at an offshore oil field.
- A Singapore international arbitration between a global car manufacturer and its national sales company.
- A Singapore construction arbitration involving one of the largest earth-filling projects in the region.
- A Hong Kong arbitration involving a multi-million dollar claim for breaches of contract relating to a gold exploration project in northern China.
- A Bangkok arbitration involving business interruption claims arising from the 2004 tsunami in Asia.
- Advising a major Japanese electronics company on disputes in a Hong Kong arbitration arising from the acquisition of a subsidiary worth US$110 million from another major electronics company.